Sunday, August 8, 2010

Book presentation in Alpine, Texas

My presentation on my new book, Death in Big Bend, in Alpine at the Way Out West Book Festival went very well. Big Bend National Park's chief ranger, Alan Etheridge, introduced me and talked a little about his experiences with rescues at Big Bend and other parks where he has worked. Then I talked about how the book came to be, the difficulties in writing the book, and about specific incidents in the book. In particular I talked about two heat stroke deaths at the park, a horrible double murder, a climbing death, and an assisted suicide/second-degree murder. Mr. Etheridge talked about two recent incidents at the park where the people were saved, but just barely. The room where I was speaking was full. I guess everyone has a little bit of a morbid interest in tragedies and rescues, including myself. Afterward I signed a lot of books and answered questions. With the book only having come out 2-3 weeks ago, it was a great debut along with the radio programs.

2 comments:

  1. I read the chapter about the assisted suicide this weekend. It was creepy. I suppose park rangers and researchers like yourself find these events just as unsettling as I do, no matter how many times you are exposed to such situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After buying the book from the book store in Marathon, I sat in the courtyard at the Gage and read the entire book in one sitting. My husband has now read it, and I passed it on to my best friend. She and her husband are both enjoying it now too. Having hiked/traveled many of the trails in your book it brought home how easily a mistake, or just being a novice in the area could have terrible consequences. We truly love the Big Bend area and Thank You for writing this book.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments. We would love to know what you think.